Find The Oops Section
Many Home Depot stores keep a small, discreet section of what’s termed “oops” paints. It’s the perfect section to look for colors for small paint jobs. These incorrectly mixed paints, damaged containers, or returned paints are sold at a substantial discount. Look for the tiny oops section usually located close to the paint mixing area.
These Are The Best Home Depot Paint Colors
Design: Blue Copper Design Photo: Life Created
If you want to totally transform the look of your space without investing too much time or money, we’d like to introduce you to The Home Depot’s immense paint collection. Whether you’re learning toward moody and dark or cheerful and light, you’ll definitely believe in the power of paint after seeing how quickly it can transform your interiors. We asked The Home Depot’s Sarah Fishburne to guide us through the color schemes that will give your space the stylish boost it needs.
Meet the Expert
Sarah Fishburne is The Home Depot‘s director of trend and design. She manages the company’s team of designers, develops products, and identifies trends in merchandise.
Below, Fishburne explains why these hues should be considered for any paint jobs you may have in store.
How To Prepare For Painting
Properly painting a room starts with prep work. Heres how to prepare a room for interior house painting.
- Start by removing all the furniture and fixtures you can, including all HVAC registers or outlet covers.
- Carefully inspect surfaces for cracks, holes, dents or other imperfections.
- Use caulk or a lightweight spackling compound with a putty knife to fill and repair any holes or imperfections.
- Remove excess spackling with the putty knife. Let it dry completely.
- Use a small piece of very fine 220-grit sandpaper or a sanding sponge to smooth the repaired areas flush with the surface.
- Wipe the surfaces clean with a damp towel or sponge and allow them to dry.
- Wear old clothes and a hat while painting.
- Whenever you start an interior house painting project, make sure you are working in a properly ventilated space. If the paint fumes are strong, wear a respirator mask.
Tip: See our guide on choosing a paint color to find the perfect color palette for your room.
Don’t Miss: Art Institute Of Chicago Famous Paintings
White Paint Vs Base Vs Primer
Many times white paint, base paint, and primer are confused with one another, especially now that many white paints are formulated with primers. Here are the differences:
- White paint: A white paint is a neutral topcoat of paint.
- Base: A base is a clear or white medium used to mix the pigments to create a paint color. Some professional painters use a non-tinted base on top of a primer and before a topcoat to add durability to the paint job. However, other painters may refer to base paint as the first layer of a paint job that comes after the primer.
- Primer: A primer differs from paint in that it’s specially formulated with a mix of resins, solvents, and other ingredients to seal porous surfaces , hide surface discoloration, and help topcoats of paint to better adhere to the wall.
Painting Tips For Interior Spaces
Prep work is essential if you want your interior paint job to be successful. Begin by cleaning the surface. Sand if necessary and scrape off any existing peeling paint. When purhasing paint, remember that 1 gallon covers about 400 square feet.
- Before applying a top coat, fill any holes and prime bare spots.
- Wear safety goggles to protect eyes from flying particles and paint droplets.
- Wear appropriate gloves when using solvents, sanding or scraping.
- Wear old, loose-fitting clothing, a painters cap or an old scarf to keep paint spatter off skin and out of hair.
- Paints are slippery, so wear shoes with slip-resistant soles.
- Make sure your room is adequately ventilated.
- Wear a respirator or mask when working with a paint sprayer and above all, practice lead paint safety. If the house or surface you’re painting was built before 1978, see EPA’s renovation, repair and painting program for guidelines.
Choosing the right paint color for each room in your home can be challenging. Thankfully, The Home Depot has a plethora of interior paints choices, from dark and moody to light and airy. Make sure you take advantage of ordering online to view paint colors from the comfort of your home. Shop online today to create spaces that you’ll love to relax in.
Also Check: Best Sherwin Williams Paint For Cabinets
Durability And Ease Of Cleaning
Quality paint is durable and easy to clean. You don’t want paint that rubs off the wall when you’re trying to clean up unexpected food splatters in the kitchen or marks on the wall in your kids’ playroom. A good brand of paint will adhere to the wall and provide better protection. The durability of the paint will also give you peace of mind of the knowledge that you won’t have to paint any time soon .
The paint finish that you use will also help with the ease of scrubbing that wall, but a better grade of paint is both durable and scrubbable no matter the finish.
Tips For Decorating With Paint
Use Chalkboard Paint to Create a Command Center
An accent wall or portion of an accent wall painted with chalkboard paint provides a fun and versatile way to track the family schedule, make running grocery lists, or jot down notes in a home office. Chalkboard paint doesnt have to be black, this effect is available as a mix-in that can be used with your choice of paint colour to create a fun and functional space. This project is a great kitchen paint solution and can even be applied to the cabinets themselves.
Spray Paint Decorative Objects and Small Furnishings
Any decorative accent can look like new again with a few coats of spray paint. Plant stands, small tables, vases, and even sculptures can be transformed with a little imagination and a few dollars worth of paint. Use fun pops of colours, especially in childrens bedrooms and play areas.
Give Your Garage a Fresh Finish
There are an array of paints and epoxy finishes designed specifically for use on concrete floors, such as the garage. These paints can eliminate old oil stains and provide a finished look to the space. Their easy-clean finish makes them a great choice for finishing a workshop or concrete patio.
Stain Furniture for a Cohesive Look
Repaint Doors and Trim
You May Like: Green Paint Colors For Living Room
Indoor Paint Vs Outdoor Paint
Interior paints are designed to be stain-resistant, cleanable and able to standup to the rigors of everyday living. Unlike exterior paints, interior paints are created with ingredients that take interior air quality into consideration.
Exterior paints are designed to handle outside weather, mildew, chipping and fading. Because of this, exterior paints can often contain chemicals and fungicides that are best kept outside.
Amc Painting Offers A Variety Of Services
AMC offers a variety of services to cater to all of your aesthetic and functional needs. AMC Painting has many years of experience with residential painting in Colorado Springs, in which we have consistently exceeded our customers expectations. We also specialize in commercial painting, large scale properties, and multifamily homes if your business or apartment complex is in need of a makeover.
Also Check: Canvas Painting Kit For Adults
Types Of Interior Paints
Paint is a mixture of binder, pigment and liquid. Liquids are carriers for pigment and binders that evaporate as paint dries. Mineral spirits are used in oil paint, while water is used in latex paint and acrylic paint. Water-based paints are safer to handle, easier to use and more versatile than oil-based paints.
- Oil paints offer better adhesion, so theyre ideal for chalky surfaces.
- Enamel paint also has ingredients that produce a harder surface when dry.
Latex or acrylic paints can be applied over oil-based paint, but oil-based paint should not be applied over a water-based paint.
Following are several tips to consider when working with latex paint:
- Latex paint is the most common and environmentally responsible paint option.
- Latex paint dries faster and has fewer odors from VOCs .
- Expect better color retention, especially in direct sunlight, from latex paint.
- Latex paint stays flexible and durable through weather and temperature changes.
- Use with a water-based primer only when painting with latex paint.
- Both latex and acylic paint clean up with just soap and water.
Oil Paint is made up of oil as a binder, a pigment and resin in a solvent thinner.
Among the reasons to choose oil paint:
If youre painting a surface that may have adhesion problems, or where the paint may bleed through, use an oil-based primer under a water-based paint for best results.
Refresh Your Room With Paint
Nothing is as transformative for a space as a fresh coat of paint. This essential step in the interior and exterior decorating process provides limitless possibilities with paint colours, finishes, and overall looks. The Home Depot carries a wide selection of paints and coatings to choose from, including acrylic paint, oil paint, and latex paint.
Don’t Miss: Best Light Grey Paint Colors
Do You Need An Entirely New Look It Is Amazing What A Fresh Professional Paint Job Can Do For Your Home Or Business
We take pride in our reputation as the best painters in Colorado Springs. Our commitment to excellence means giving you the best paint job with no mess to clean up afterwards.
AMC Painting proudly uses Sherwin Williams paint to ensure that you get the best quality paint job. 100% of our interior paint is either low VOC or Zero VOC paint, meaning you wont have to worry about heavy smells or chemical effects. We offer a wide range of paint products to meet each customers budget needs. It is important to choose a high quality painting contractor to beautify and protect your home. Give AMC Painting a to schedule an estimate with the finest painters Colorado Springs has to offer. You will not be disappointed!
Behr And Glidden Are Popular Paint Brands At The Retailer
Deane Biermeier is an expert contractor with nearly 30 years of experience in all types of home repair, maintenance, and remodeling. He is a certified lead carpenter and also holds a certification from the EPA. Deane is a member of The Spruce’s Home Improvement Review Board.
If you’re standing in Home Depot’s interior paint section now, you may be wondering which of the store’s two main brands to choose from, Behr or Glidden, or if one of the other attractive contenders is the right pick.
Paint contractors may tell you to skip Home Depot altogether and instead purchase from a standalone store like Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore. But if you’re on a budget, or working on a smaller project like a kid’s room or a guest bathroom, Home Depot paints are perfectly acceptable.
Plus, any tools you may need to get the job done, such as ladders or sprayers, are right there at your fingertips. So the question remains: Which paint brand should you choose?
Read Also: How Much Does It Cost To Paint Kitchen Cabinets Professionally
Prime And Paint The Ceiling
Prime and paint the ceiling first, then your walls.
- Primers are designed to help seal the wall and prevent mold. Use a roller to prime the ceiling with a coat of latex paint primer, especially if your ceiling has stains. Use interior latex drywall primer on a smooth or lightly textured ceiling and a high-build primer on a ceiling with a deeper texture.
- Allow the primer to dry completely according to instructions.
- Before applying the paint with rollers, use a paint brush to cut in or paint the edges where the ceiling meets the wall. This will ensure the paint will cover areas the roller might miss as well as conceal any brush marks left behind.
- The best way to paint a ceiling is to use a paint roller and work in grid-like sections of 3 square feet to 5 square feet each. This helps keep edges wet and allows you to see your progress to ensure an even coat.
- For smooth ceilings, use a low nap roller. For a textured ceiling, use a roller with 1/2-inch or 3/4-inch nap.
- Regularly use the paint tray to load the roller with ceiling paint and roll slowly.
- Begin rolling when the paint cut line is still wet.
- Start in a corner and roll in overlapping rows.
- Do not roll directly over your head.
- Slightly vary the direction of your rolling, as a perfectly straight roll may show overlap marks. Continue until the section is done.
- Continue applying paint, rolling out and blending with the cut-in edge and the previous section until the ceiling is complete.
Price Bulk Vs Smaller Quantities
Buying in bulkmeaning a five-gallon bucketdoesn’t always pay off. Before you grab that bucket, price it out on a per-gallon basis and see if single gallons might be cheaper or more practical for your needs.
For example, you may only need three to four gallons of paint for your job, which means a five-gallon bucket could be overkill and overpriced for your project. Sometimes, the price per gallon and the price for a five-gallon bucket are extremely close, and, other times, the bucket is a better deal. Prices may vary near you, so always do the math to find your best buy.
Read Also: Light Paint Colors For Bedrooms
Choosing The Best Paints
- Binders are plastic-like polymers that bind the pigment together to form a tough, continuous film. In oil paints, look for drying oils like linseed or modified oil . In latex paints, look for 100 percent acrylic binders.
- Pigments are finely ground particles and powders that provide paint color, coverage and hiding ability. Prime pigments provide whiteness or color and opacity the most common prime pigment is titanium dioxide. Extender pigments provide bulk to the paint and add scrub resistance, stain resistance and chalk resistance.
- Solids are the pigments and binders. They create the film left behind after the paint dries and the liquids have evaporated. Higher-quality paints usually have a higher percentage of solids. Quality latex paints contain 30 to 45 percent solids by volume.
Look on the paint can label for information on binders, liquids, pigments and solids.
More About Home Depot Wall Paint Food
INTERIOR PAINTING SERVICE – HOMEDEPOT.CA
HOW TO PAINT A WALL – HOME DEPOT
PAINT: CHALK PAINT, ACRYLIC, LATEX & AMP MORE – HOMEDEPOT.CA
HOME DEPOT WALL PAINT COLORS – FIND THE BUSINESS INFORMATION
HOME DEPOT WALL PAINT BEST RECIPES
CAN HOME DEPOT PAINT MATCH? HOW ACCURATE ARE THEY?
INTERIOR PAINT – THE HOME DEPOT
40 BEST HOME DEPOT PAINT IDEAS IN 2022 | WALL PAINT DESIGNS, WALL …
HOW TO CHOOSE PAINT AT HOME DEPOT – THE SPRUCE
FOOD GRADE – PAINT SUPPLIES – PAINT – THE HOME DEPOT
KITCHEN PAINT COLORS – THE HOME DEPOT
INTERIOR PAINTS – HOMEDEPOT.CA
HOW GOOD IS HOME DEPOT PAINT MATCHING? – PROJECT PERFECT HOME
FLOOD – PAINT – THE HOME DEPOT
SPECIALTY WALL & AMP FURNITURE PAINT – HOME
THESE ARE THE BEST HOME DEPOT PAINT COLORS – MYDOMAINE
PAINT – THE HOME DEPOT
BUY PAINT ONLINE – PAINT SELECTOR TOOL | THE HOME DEPOT
POPULAR PAINT COLORS – THE HOME DEPOT
Don’t Miss: How To Fix Scratches In Car Paint