Are Oak Cabinets Coming Back In Style
I wish I could tell you that all you needed to do is add new hardware and you are good to go. But while some oak cabinets are coming back in style, take note they are stained in cooler wood tones. In other ways, they dont have that orange honey oak stain that so many outdated oak cabinets have today. And the easiest way to get rid of the orange tint and give your kitchen a whole new look is with paint! If you want to paint your cabinets to look like wood, take a look at this post: How To Apply Paint That Looks Like Stain
What Size Tip Is Best Suited For Spraying Kitchen Cabinets
Using a small tip will help you avoid overspray, to create a 6-inch fan you can use a 311 sized tip. If your sprayer has a cap, you can adjust the sprayer as needed so that you get your desired results. If you are using a kit that has several fittings or tips, we suggest you experiment with them first before beginning your project.
General Tips And Techniques
Most spraying techniques depend on the type of sprayer you choose, so consult your users manual for more specific guidance.
Holding the gun closer applies more paint to the surface and creates a narrow spray pattern while holding the gun farther away results in a thinner coat and a wider spray pattern. But be careful not to hold the sprayer too far away or the paint can dry before reaching the wall, which creates more overspray and loss of material.
- Test the sprayer on a large piece of cardboard or other scrap material, adjusting the sprayer and your technique as needed to achieve a uniform spray pattern.
- To prevent paint buildup, start your stroke before you pull the trigger and then continue the stroke after releasing the trigger.
- Carefully observe how the paint lands on your project when you first start spraying, then speed up or slow down to get consistent, even coverage.
- Spray straight at the surface. Avoid swinging your arm back and forth. Move your arm, not your wrist, keeping the gun straight and at right angles to prevent arcing, which causes an uneven coating.
- Regularly wipe the tip of your paint sprayer to prevent paint from dying and disrupting the spray pattern.
- Clean the unit thoroughly following manufacturers instructions once your project is completed.
- Do not store paint in your paint sprayer for an extended period of time.
You May Like: Home Depot Paint Colors Interior
Why Can I Not Just Paint Over The Existing Paint
The paint needs to be able to adhere to the surface and dirty old paint is not going to make that possible. In addition, you want to achieve an even coat of paint so you require a smooth work surface to work with, to the eye your cabinets may look smooth but they are probably not. Rather do a proper job!
Compressed Air Or Airless
You will need to decide if you want an electric spray gun or a manual one, the two options use an electric pump and compressed air respectively. It is easier to clean an air-powered sprayer and it has a higher transfer rate while the compressed air gun offers you flexibility in regards to adjustment of the sprays intensity. Either option when used correctly will give you stunning results.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Mold From Painted Walls With Vinegar
How Do You Make Old Cabinets Look Modern
If you have orange honey-oak cabinets in your kitchen as I do, there are more than two main problems. Yes, they are orange, but also most oak cabinets have a very open grain which means they dont have the smoothest, most modern-looking finish.
Fortunately, Ill show you the best paint for oak kitchen cabinets that levels into the grain as well as some tips to get them looking completely smooth!
How To Stain Wood Cabinets With A Sprayer
Staining raw wood cabinets can provide an attractive finish and a valuable level of protection for the wood, but brushing stains on can be slow and sticky, and if youre not well practiced can easily lead to an uneven, lumpy coat and unsatisfying finish.
Most of the steps for staining wood cabinets with a sprayer are the same as painting any other object with a sprayer, however, simplifying your life effectively. Before you start to paint, you should ensure that your wood has been well sanded for good adhesion and a smooth finish.
First, ensure youre wearing a safe respirator mask to prevent inhalation of wood stain particles as you spray. Then, cover any areas you want to avoid staining old sheets are a good choice for this, firmly taped into place to ensure that they dont slip while youre painting.
Spray slowly and carefully from approximately 12 inches away from the surface, ensuring that you start and finish beyond the edges of the object to avoid uneven coats at the ends. As always, ensure that you clean your spray gun carefully after use, even though youre going to be needing it again once the first coat has dried. Apply several light coats to avoid running and discoloration, and ensure that you sand again after the first coat.
Recommended Reading: Green Modern Exterior House Paint
Why Should I Use A Spray Gun Instead Of A Paint Roller
While we are all used to working with a paint roller or paintbrush that does not mean they are the best options. It can be hard to maneuver them in hard-to-reach, tight spaces and then can cause lines in the paint. To achieve an even finish and to tackle any tricky corners a spray gun is the perfect option. You simply have to set up the gun, begin spraying and you will immediately see stunning results. It is always recommended that you practice working with a spray gun first to get the hang of it before tackling your desired project.
Tips And Tricks For Cabinet Spray Painting
- The pressure level affects the velocity of the paint spray, so be careful to keep this low enough to avoid over-spraying and the resulting mess.
- Ensure you use the correct primer that is not flammable.
- Carefully read the product guide and follow all the necessary steps before you begin working. Your safety is the highest priority, so be certain that you are wearing the correct protective equipment especially a paint respirator.
- Be sure to select a workspace with decent airflow.
- Airless spray guns are a safety hazard, so use them with caution as the pressure levels produced can even break the skin.
- Before you start to paint your surface, test the spray gun on some loose cardboard so you can calibrate it properly to suit your project.
Also Check: Step By Step Painting Acrylic
Step : Perform Repairs
If there are any areas of the cabinets which require repairs this is the time to address them, any problem areas need to be sanded and smoothed out. If when you are done you wish to re-attach the hinges and handles in different places than before you will then have to block out the pre-existing holes. If there are any holes, scratches, or dings you can use spackling compounds to fix them. Always clean away any dust you may create when addressing the repairs before moving on to the next step.
You can use a stain-blocking primer to prime the cabinets remember to stain both sides of the panels, allow the one side to dry completely before you flip it over, and tackle the other side.
How To Spray Paint Cabinets: Tips & Best Practices
Whether youre going to be spray painting kitchen cabinets or you want to spray paint bathroom cabinets, its important to know what to do to get the best results. Follow these tips to get the best results when painting your cabinets:
- Uninstall the doors Remove the doors from their hinges and any handles or accessories that could get in the way of your painting. This all will help you to more easily and comfortably paint everything.
- Clean the surface Use a damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris from your cabinets. This will help your paint stick and look even smoother.
- Protect the surrounding area Use painters tape, drop cloths, or sheets to cover the surrounding area. Youll paint better when youre less worried about potential damage.
- Repair any damage Fill any cracks or holes before moving forward. This will prevent you from needing to repaint later.
- Apply a primer Apply one or two coats of primer to your cabinets to increase the durability of your paint. This can be done with a sprayer, roller, or brush.
- Sand the surface Use sandpaper to sand before and between coats of primer and paint. This will give you incredibly smooth coverage.
- Paint the edges Before you start spraying, use a brush to paint the edges. This will help you achieve a more desirable finish.
- Brush away paint runs If your paint starts dripping or running anywhere, use your paint brush to blend it in. This will keep your paint looking even and smooth.
Don’t Miss: How To Remove Light Scratches From Car Paint
What Is The Best Spray Paint On Kitchen Cabinets
What is the best spray paint on kitchen cabinets
The best spray paint for kitchen cabinet facings is a universal solvent-based paint or solvent-based paint formulated for the surface you will paint.
We use solvent-based paint in our professional line of work because it is specifically formulated to form a hard and durable finish. It is also widely universal, capable of lasting on timber, vinyl, and acrylic kitchen cabinets.
If you are unable to get a hold of a universal solvent-based interior paint, your choice of paint should be based on the material of the surface you will paint. Manufacturers often have separate painting systems for timber and plastic.
Best spray paints for kitchen cabinets
Here are a few product recommendations:
Please note: We have not been paid to mention these brands nor do we endorse them.
Rust-Oleum Painters Touch
Ideal for: Touch ups, colour matching and small projects.
If you need to colour match a kitchen cabinet or touch up a door, Rust-Oleum Painters Touch is excellent spray paint for the job. Its a quick-drying spray paint supplied in a spray can for all surfaces, including timber, laminate, acrylic and plastic. Its available in 42 colours with gloss, satin and matte finishes.
Rust-Oleum Kitchen Cupboard Paint
Ideal for: Full colour changes.
Avoid water and oil-based paints
Avoid 2K paints
When to call in a professional sprayer
Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer
This addition to the Graco airless range and is really the perfect choice for you if youre spraying cabinets. It has more features than any other electric handheld model on the market, which really comes in handy when youre using different types of paint across drawers and kitchen cabinets. This Graco Magnum Paint Sprayer features an airless design with an adjustable pressure system to accurately control the paint flow.
When youve only got a weekend to paint all your kitchen cabinets, you cant be stopping every half an hour to refill the bucket, clean the nozzle, or thin the paint. With its powerful compressor and ability to deliver paint directly from the bucket, Gracos airless paint sprayer can handle big jobs.
|Equipped with a stainless steel piston pump that allows for unthinned paint to be sprayed at high pressure.|
|Features a flexible suction tube to spray directly from a one or five-gallon paint bucket.|
|Includes a Power Flush adapter that connects to a garden hose for fast and easy cleaning.|
|Offers the ability to use up to 75 ft of paint hose for flexibility while working.|
|Features the RAC IV Switch Tip for reversing the tip when clogged.|
|The spray power of this Graco Magnum paint sprayer is 500 Watts|
|The weight of this sprayer unit is 15 pounds.|
|Lightweight yet durably made|
|Paints quickly after being properly set up|
You May Like: Hotels Near Ppg Paints Arena Pittsburgh
Critter 22032 118sg Siphon Spray Gun
Is the Critter spray gun a good option for cabinet jobs?
Yes, It is easy to paint your furniture and cabinets yourself with Critterwithout depending on professional assistance. If you are interested in an eco-friendly option, then look no further.
Critter is a beautiful addition to have in any tool kit. Due to its simple design, anyone can use it, from beginners to skilled woodworkers, to paint your furniture and cabinets efficiently within a short period.
It comes with a mason jar attached to the gun to hold the paint. We have found that this is a huge perk, as you can purchase extra pots from any store, and the Critter siphon gun can fit with any other jar you like.
The Metal spray guns operate with an air compressor to provide force and a neat finish. Also, Critter is designed for medium to small projects such as spraying bed cabinets, drawers, kitchen or bathroom cabinets, doors, cupboards, fences, or furniture.
You can spray a variety of paints, including latex paints, lacquers, varnish, and stains.
Another benefit of the Critter is simple cleaning. After using it, the only thing you need to do is rinse the spray gun properly with water before filling the jar for the next project. In addition, You can maintain this spray gun and use it for many years to come.
Product SpecsPaint Volume: 16-ounce Mason jar
- It requires an air compressor.
- The spray pattern doesnt vary.
- Thick paints need to be thinned.
Step : Protect The Area
Once the cabinets have been removed you will need to clean the area and surfaces where the cabinets will be reattached to. When you are happy that those areas have been sufficiently cleaned you can mask off the ceilings, flooring, and walls, and any appliances in plastic sheeting. There is always a risk of overspray so rather cover the countertops, floors, windows, and doors. Ensure where you are working has sufficient ventilation so that the paint fumes do not build up and wear the relevant safety gear to protect yourself from fumes and paint splatter.
Recommended Reading: Things To Paint With Watercolor
Do I Need To Wash The Spray Gun After Every Use
You should ideally wash your painting gear at the end of each day to ensure that there is no damage caused to the equipment. If you are doing a project that is taking several days you can simply put your gear into a plastic bag and leave it in the fridge. The paint will not dry thanks to the cold temperature, but allow the gear sometime in the morning to thaw out before using it again.
Latex Water Enamel Paint
Latex paint is safer and easier to clean up but doesnt provide the finish of oil paint.
Compared to the history of paint, latex paint is still the new kid on the block. Sherwin-Williams used a synthetic rubber, latex, in the 1940s to create the first water enamel paint. Since then, its safety, environmental friendliness, and ease of use have motivated the ongoing development of latex paint technology.
Because of the improvements in latex paint formulas, its almost as durable and polished as the finish youd get from oil-based paint. Almost, but not entirely. Latex paint dries much faster than oil-paint, making it difficult to get as even and lustrous of a finish. Using a paint sprayer will minimize unevenness. But if youre using a roller or brushyoull notice a difference while painting kitchen cabinets.
So whats the solution? Oil-based is dangerous and a hassle, latex is natural and safe but compromises quality. Luckily, you can have the best of both worlds.
Also Check: Magnum Project Painter Plus True Airless
Graco 16n658 Truecoat Ii Paint Sprayer
It is featured with a Tilt-N-spray flexible pendulum suction tube, it can be rotated in a horizontal, vertical, upward, and in a downward direction. Therefore, the user can spray the portions of the materials according to their needs. It covers all the uneven portions of the target materials and is hence considered as the best paint sprayer for cabinets.
The adjustments can be made by the pro-control feature. The flow varies based on the viscosity of the materials. For handling small or thin materials, a small amount of spray is enough for them. When considering the large and the thick materials, the user has to increase the amount of flow. With this feature, the user can avoid the wastage of paints and use it to the fullest.
Key Features: Tilt-N-Spray, pro control, wide pattern reversible tip.
Pros: reduces overflow, suits for thin and thick materials, completes the job quickly.
Key Features To Consider
Here are the key features to consider when buying a paint sprayer for kitchen cabinets. Having such features will make your work much easier!
- Adjustable Pressure: When youre paint-spraying kitchen cabinets, you want as much flexibility as possible for the job. With adjustable pressure, you can change the paint flow, pattern, and thickness which is extremely useful.
- Filters: Filters help prevent your paint sprayer from clogging. This means that you can continue working without having to stop to clean them as often. Furthermore, it helps your product live a longer life.
- Capacity: The capacity of paint sprayers can vary a great deal. This will dictate how often you have to stop to refill it with paint. Remember, the bigger the capacity, the bigger and heavier the unit is likely to be as a result.
Recommended Reading: Sherwin Williams Paint For Sale